21 August 2014

Back to School Book Blogger Challenge Day 4: Advice for parents

Hello bookworms,
Continuing our back to school challenge, here we have today's topic to discuss.
Day 4: If you are a parent, or have advice for parents…what do you do (or think would work) to foster the love of reading in your kids?
There is something I want to advice these
     parents nowadays. My sister and I, we have always loved books. When my sister was 15, and I was 10, we counted all the books we had in our house, and it was 400 (those were only our books, excluding the rest of the family). My parents read books all the time. People used to give me money in my birthday, this way I could buy whatever I wanted. I collected money enough to buy very expensive clothes, but instead I ended up hugging 5 new purchased books. My parents never forced me to read, but they used to read all the time, and so did my sister. When I went to my aunts, they would talk with my mum about books all the time. I loved hearing those stories. Even my 80 years old grandmother used to read her newspaper every day. I didn't have internet, so I spent most of my time reading and daydreaming.
Personally I think that firstly children should start reading tales. Tales are awesome. I used to read my Russian Tales all the time. I have at least 10 years I haven't touched that book, but I still remember all the stories. I read the original "Little Mermaid" tale by the age of 8. When people nowadays realize that the original Little Mermaid dies at the end, they always say "Childhood ruined!". Lol, my childhood was ruined since then in my case.
Therefore I say:
-Do not force your children in reading. Reading isn't a chore, it is a pleasure.
-Do not let them using internet all the time.
-Create a reading environment for them. if parents love reading, so will children.
-Leave them in their imaginary world.
I hope this helped.

Have a great day!
Happy Scary Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I agree you can't force reading upon them. Kids need to know its fun to read and that is not a chore.. i am thankful my son loves to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's what matters the most! Reading should never be a chore.

      Delete

{Stay a little longer}