25 March 2015

In Search Of Monsters #11: The headless horseman? Dullahan


Hello bookworms,
It’s been a while since my last In Search Of Monsters. Truth be told, this feature takes a lot of time.
I have to find a bizarre creature, spend hours doing research on it, look at various designs, and then build the dialogue, draw the scene, photograph it, edit it with Photoshop, and write the post.
Since my doctors told me not to use my left arm, and I am left-handed, it’s been quite tough. Drawing with my right hand is difficult for me, but, I am getting better at it. So, today we are going to talk about an Irish creature:
Dullahan, or the headless horseman is a horseman, who is headless. (Captain Obvious!) Basically, he keeps his head under one arm. His mouth is twitched in a horrendous grin from one side of the face to another, and his eyes dart like fire looking for his next victim. He uses the cord of a human body as a whip, the vertebrae constantly making a crackling noise.  His wagon is decorated with candles in skulls, the spokes of the wheels are made from femurs, and the covering made from dried human skin. (Okay, the horror side of me obviously overreacted here. I have to keep my inner horror writer under control.)
Dullahan is pretty unstoppable, since he can enter any door, or gate. He stops riding when a person is due to die. The dullahan calls out their name, at which point they immediately die. He doesn’t like being watched, so he throws a basin of blood on those who dare to watch him, or lash out the intruder’s eyes with his whip. Dullahan frightened of gold, and even a single gold pin can drive him away.
I risked dying for this interview, thanks a lot!



Have a great day!
Happy Scary Reading!


8 comments:

  1. You sure live a dangerous life, oh gutsy creature :).
    I'll make sure to always wear gold - at least if I visit Ireland! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your features crack me up! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you know about all these creatures? You are very strange girl, but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharla! I have no social life, therefore I spend my free time reading about these creatures.

      Delete

{Stay a little longer}